Search using the deceased name or any family name for any current or past services entrusted to our firm.
WHAT TO DO WITH THE PASSING OF A LOVED ONE
With the passing of a loved one, it is important
that the funeral home be notified as soon as possible. If you are out of town or out of the country when a sudden death occurs, the only call you need to make is to your home town funeral home of choice. We can arrange to
bring the deceased home from anywhere around the world. Regardless of where the
death has occurred, locally or in another country, the following is a brief list
of the immediate things that have to be done.
- Phone Colchester Community Funeral Home: (902) 895-5587.
- Inform Colchester Community Funeral Home staff of the following information:
- Who you are
- Your telephone number
- Who has passed away, and at what time
- Where the deceased is located
- The cause of death if known, and the Physician's name
- Make an appointment immediately with our professionals
- Notify Your Clergy or Ask Us To Do This For You
- Gather information for the Death Certificate:
- Full name of the deceased
- Street Address
- Date and place of birth
- Social Insurance/Health Card Number
- Marital status
- Father's name and birthplace
- Mother's name and mother's maiden name and birthplace
- Select clothing and personal items for the deceased.
- Several recent photographs
- Full set of clothing, including undergarments
- Eyeglasses, dentures, etc.
- Religious symbols (Rosary, Masonic Emblems, etc.)
- Gather Information for Death Notice: Our professionals will
normally write the article and submit to the newspaper(s).
- Decide an appropriate memorial to which gifts can be made.
- Select Pallbearers.
- Make a list and contact by telephone:
- Immediate family
- Close friends
- Employer or business colleagues
- Locate the will and notify the Lawyer and Executor.
- Arrange for members of the family or close friends to take turns answering
the door or telephone. Keep a careful record of all calls.
- Arrange for childcare, if necessary.
- Arrange hospitality for visiting relatives and friends.
- Check and notify:
- All Life Insurance Company(s)
- Death benefits
- Investment Company
- Bank, Trust Company or Credit Union
- Trade Union
- Fraternal Organizations
- Military organizations (Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars)
- Prepare a list of distant persons to be notified.
- Old Age Security cancellation & Canada Pension Applications for death
benefit, spousal allowance and orphans benefit. Colchester Community Funeral Home will
supply forms and aid in completion.
- If checks are automatic deposit, notify bank of death. Check with Old Age
Security at (800) 277-9914 to see that number is retired, and for possible
additional benefits such as Widowed Spouses Allowance and Guaranteed Income
- If deceased was living alone, notify:
- Utility companies
- Post Office - forwarding address